segunda-feira, 6 de fevereiro de 2017

Breastfeeding

Nowadays it should be natural to breastfeed in public, with the all "Do-You" thing that everyone has been fighting for, for some time.

Breastfeeding is giving milk to your baby. You don't cover yourself while eating, do you? You do not give people the stink eye when you see them eating pizza, so why do you when you see a momma giving milk to her baby?

I stay speechless whenever I see someone giving me or some other mom the stink eye, or commenting negatively. I want to say so much but feel like they are not going to listen.

I had the most weird experience a few months ago, and I was so speechless... -LITERALLY could not speak.
I was in social security waiting to be seen to turn in some papers. My baby was... I think a month old. Which means he slept a lot and he ate, and that's about it. I was there for so long that he woke up hungry and I couldn't leave because I could possibly miss my turn. So I naturally took my boob out and start feeding him.
Now, for story-telling purposes, you should know that at this point I wasn't very good at feeding him without the breastfeeding pillow and I wanted to register everytime he ate in the app. Which was a lot of trouble and unnecessary stress basically, specially if I was out and about.
I had only one person next to me, it was a older woman from a different race than mine-which doesn't mean anything, just giving you some context. And while I was feeding my very small fragille baby, she picked up my muslim and covered his face with it!!! I was so speechless then as I am now telling the story. What in the world did this woman have in that little head that she thought it was right to pick MY muslim and cover MY SON'S face??!! And she didn't speak too. She didn't said anything, just picked that thing, not knowing if it had spit up or something nasty (you never know), and covered his face and smiled. It was the strangest most awkward moment and I couldn't escape it either.

In what world do we live in? Where it is ok to have pratically naked woman on tv during the day, in tv shows, films, videoclips, everywhere, and it's not ok to take your boob out to give milk to your baby? Where women choose to not breastfeed because they are afraid of comments or bad looks?

Please do not judge mommas trying to feed their babies. Do not stare, it is just a boob. Do not comment on it. And please, please, do not touch them or their baby or their stuff when they have their hands occupied, because it is NOT nice or necessary. Thanks for reading :)

And if you did read this, what are your opinions on this very important matter?

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário